Monday, March 29th, 2010
Search Engine Spiders do not visit every website the same number of times. A website that has a lot of relevant copy and is regularly updated is more likely to be indexed often by the Search Engines. Search Engines such as Google reward “current” websites with better rankings than small, stagnant websites.
For a website owner or manager that does not have a background in website coding, the easiest way to update a website is via a Content Management System (CMS). Ideally you want a CMS which allows a non-technical person access to optimisation features which help make your website content more search engine friendly. (Inspiration Marketing recommends using a WordPress system as an excellent option because it is both easy to use and includes Search Engine Optimisation tools in the system.) Inspiration Marketing also has many years experience in tailoring the look and feel and functionality of WordPress. Joomla is another good option, where the business needs a shopping cart.
General Guidelines for writing website content for good keyword rankings on Search Engines.:
- Use 250 – 350 words per page.
- People read more slowly online than in print – keep sentences short and to-the-point.
- Each new page is a potential entry point into your website from the search engines.
- Use a strong clear descriptive heading including the keyword you wish to target.
- Break text into bullet points, use short paragraphs with headings.
- Consider the phrase you think people will most likely use when searching Google. This may be the “Theme” you want to promote to Google by writing a topical article.
- Apply keyword phrases consistently and logically throughout the body text. Use them also in hyper links. Try to use them at the beginning of paragraphs and sentences. A good rule of thumb is that it is usually better for the search engines if the keyphrase appears mostly high up on the page (near the start of the content) and once almost at the very bottom. For example
Paragraph 1 include keyphrase
Paragraph 2 include keyphrase
Paragraph 4 include keyphrase
Paragraph 1 include keyphrase twice
Paragraph 3 include keyphrase
- Content must be original – never copy and paste sentences from any source (whether from the company website or another online resource.)
Inspiration Marketing has extensive experience optimising local and international websites. . We can also localise and optimise sites to target specific markets. Contact us to find out more about Search Engine Friendly Website Content and to learn about what we can do for your company.